If you’re a keen knitter or super stitcher, you’ll be counting down the days until The Spring Knitting & Stitching Show opens in Edinburgh.
Thousands of canny crafters from all over Scotland will be heading to the Royal Highland Centre’s Highland Hall from 27th-30th April to enjoy inspiring work by world-class textile artists, learn new skills from TV sewing stars and top tutors, shop ‘til they drop for essential supplies and get expert help with tricky projects.
Not to be missed are:
- Professionally-curated exhibitions and gallery tours by internationally renowned artists and groups, including The 62 Group, Quinary, Wemyss School of Needlework, Effie Galletly, Edinburgh Modern Quilt Guild, Rachel Howard, Helen McAllister and The Quilters’ Guild.
- A Kaffe Fassett retrospective.
- 140+ textile craft and dressmaking workshops and drop-in sessions, for complete beginners through to experienced stitchers.
- Free demonstrations by leading lights of the knitting and stitching world, including The Great British Sewing Bee finalist Lauren Guthrie.
- Unbeatable craft shopping experience with hundreds of specialist suppliers.
- Accomplished artists and craftspeople at work.
- The Butterfly Garden and Enchanted Wood competition - a spectacular fundraising collection and competition featuring knitted and crocheted flora, fauna and magical creatures, in aid of the Louise Hamilton Trust Hospice Appeal.
- Book signings by renowned knitwear designer Martin Storey.
- Screenings of Nudinits: Tickled Pink, the award-winning and very cheeky first-ever all-knitted stop-motion animation.
The Spring Knitting & Stitching Show features a unique stitched petition for the Campaign for Creativity, a craft activism campaign supported by top textile artists, designers and craftspeople to protect the teaching of creative subjects in education. Visitors can support the campaign by bringing along a stitched signature for the petition or will be able to sew a signature at the show. The petition is travelling across the UK before being presented to the Education Secretary at the end of the year.
The Spring Knitting & Stitching Show takes place from 27th-30th April 2017 at the Highland Hall, Royal Highland Centre, Edinburgh. Tickets cost £13 in advance (concessions £12, children aged 5-18 £6)*. A wide selection of options are available from http://www.theknittingandstitchingshow.com/edinburgh/ or by calling 0844 581 1319 (+44 (0) 121 796 6165 if outside the UK). Advance price tickets cease at midnight on Wednesday 26th April but there will be plenty of tickets available on the door for £16 per adult (£15 concession, £7 for children).
*A booking fee of £1.50 is payable per order